Cahuilla Lodge # 127, as a modern organization, has 5 Order of the Arrow Lodges in 4 territories as ancestors, two permanently formed in the 1930s and two more in the 1950s.
Prior to the formation of these Lodges, they often had Non-OA Societies at their local camps.
Navajo Lodge # 98 (1937 – 2006) was the 2nd Lodge formed in California. Their first camp was Camp Tulakes, which was a Scout Camp on a 50 year lease with the United States Forest Service from 1924 – 1974. There is no current evidence that a Non-OA Society preceded the Lodge, but it is quite possible1.
Tahquitz Lodge # 127 (1938 – 1973) was the 4th Lodge formed in California. Their camp was Camp Emerson, and we know that a Non-OA Society existed called the Tribe of Tahquitz. The available evidence suggests that it formed after the original Tribe of Tahquitz, which was created in 1925 at neighboring Camp Tahquitz in Idyllwild. Little is known of this group, and no insignia has been discovered to date.
Wisumahi Lodge # 478 (1952 – 1974) succeeded the Tribe of Siwanis at Camp Arataba, and in the years that Southern Nevada did not have a Council, a Tribe of Tecopa was held for a couple years at Mt. Charleston.
Ho-Mita Koda Lodge # 380 (1948 – 1952) seems to have had some kind of society, including a 1946 camp patch. While speculative, it is likely that this was held at Camp Tulakes, which the Council would later acquire from Old Baldy Council.
Navajo and Tahquitz Lodges were consistently chartered from the 1930s, although much of their early history is unknown. We do know from Tahquitz that dedication to operating Summer camp was a primary purpose.
In the 1950s the Order of the Arrow was exploding in popularity after its acceptance as a full-time program in 1948. The additions of Wisumahi Lodge and A-tsa Lodge completed the local puzzle.
The 4 Lodges remained active participants in Area 12-A. When the 1973 Region Reorganization was commenced, two of the Councils were merged to form Cahuilla Lodge # 127 on June 1, 1973. In 1974, A-tsa Lodge was then absorbed into the Lodge and integrated as its own Chapter.
In 2006, Old Baldy Council merged into two Councils, based on the Los Angeles-San Bernardino County Line. The San Bernardino County-portion joined Cahuilla Lodge. The Northern part of Navajo Lodge would start the Navajo Chapter. The Southern area, primarily comprised of Chino/Chino Hills, would join the existing Hutuk Chapter.
Since that point, Cahuilla Lodge’s area has remained as it does today.
For further information, please read the Cahuilla Lodge timeline and proceed to 1973 – 1979.Last updated: April 2, 2021 at 13:38 pm